Labor day weekend we wanted to do something fun as a family. John had been worked all weekend and he was finally able to stay at home on Monday. We decided to pack a lunch and go hike or explore or whatever.
I wanted to go to Mt. Charleston (just remember that as you continue to read). We (and by we I mean John) thought it would be too crowded so we (again, John) decided to head to this really cool place where they had the father son
camp out. Apparently there are all these cool rock formations to climb on. Too bad John couldn't
remember how to get there. We drove around
forever!! We kept going on all these tiny roads to see what was around the corner (so not my idea). The kids were starving so we finally just stopped and got out to eat. Then the boys figured they should shoot the BB gun for a while. When we ran out of
bb's they decided they wanted to hike. No big deal until we realize we are at an abandoned mine. With mine shafts. Huge, deep, mine shafts. John and the boys thought it was awesome. I, on the other hand, was hyperventilating.......Don't get me wrong, it was cool and we didn't let the boys get very close but just being there stressed me out. I finally convinced John to get the hell out of there.
The boys walking up the hill right before we discovered what it was we were actually walking to.

I pointed this sign out to John and the boys several times. No one really cared but me.
The door to a mine shaft. Not blocked off. Just chillin'. My boys thought this was awesome and wanted to throw things down it. Ummm...no.

John driving on a tiny little road while pretending to know where he was going...
Ryan, after bonking his head on the window while John was driving on the bumpy tiny little road.

Why go outside if you can't shoot some sort of gun? Welcome to my life.
Standing in front of the deepest, creepiest mine shaft I have ever seen. This was was fenced off. It had this rickety little ladder that went all the way down. SCARY!!
This is where we ended up. Literally, the middle of nowhere.

11 comments:
i would have been freaking out too! but, i must say the creepiest looking mine shaft would make for some awesome pics! so let me know where you moved and stuff. we need to catch up!
What an adventure! Eventhough you were freaking out I'm sure your boys loved every minute of it!
It is about freaking time you posted! My heavens, I have been waiting a very long time. Well, you did post that Cali Trip one but still, to long to post. Sounds like a fun trip. Steven and I went "hiking" at red rock this last weekend. You should go there, it was fun!
Um yeah, totally sounds like a man thing! You are such a good sport...no wonder you like pink so much!!! I would be freaking out too, I don't think I even would have let them get out of the car....and um yeah, Mt. Charleston was super crowded, that's where we went on labor day, but I won't tell John that....at least there were no death traps close by to worry about!
looks freaky! I bet your boys had a blast and will remmeber that forever!
You gotta love trips like that. Those are the ones you remember.
Pretty sky, though! :) I'd be freaking out about the mine thing, too! That's crazy! Glad everyone made it back alive.
That is the biggest problem with having so many boys. You never get listened to. Growing up with 4 brothers it was often this way. They always wanted to do "stupid" things. I'm glad you took pics. It sounds like they all had fun!
The sign is my life motto as of today. "Stay out. Stay alive." I think it has a nice ring to it.
There is nothing like an abandoned mine shaft to keep Labor Day interesting...
P.S. speaking of holidays, today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Don't believe me? Go ahead, look it up. Yarrr.
Wow, what an exciting adventure! I am glad you all were ok sounds like it was an exciting day for your boys.
Post a Comment