Monday, October 6, 2008

26.2 Miles...

John's fam with one of the signs his sister made for me

This is the back of me at mile 23. They got one pic of the front of me but it's pretty bad so instead, you get to see the back

My mom and sister waiting in the rain to cheer for me

Blake, Ry, and T-dog the day before with their cousin Gavin. I had to put a picture of Gavin because he was hands down the most excited for me. He just knew I could win the race!

I did it. I ran the St. George Marathon and it was awesome. It was a really cool experience and I was so glad to have my family there to cheer me on. John's mom and step dad came from California and his sister and her kids came from Grantsville and my mom, my sister Heather, my sister Jenna and her husband Steven all came to root for me. John's sister made these awesome signs for them to hold and they all dressed alike so I could spot them. Just knowing they were all there for me and they were all so excited for me made it a very emotional experience. As far as the race goes, we got up and it was pouring rain and freezing!! Then we got to the starting line and there were thousands of people there all dripping wet and waiting to start. I felt really good the whole race. I had been so worried and I was so nervous up till the race started but once I got going I knew I could do it. I worked my butt off training and I wasn't going to suck! It rained the entire race and even though I was running I was freezing my butt off but I finished in 4 hrs and 24 min. I'm happy with my time and the whole experience was something I won't forget. After I finished it was so great to see my family waiting for me and I am so happy they came!! I also have to say I couldn't have trained alone. The girls (and justin) and all finished and did great. Props to Rachel who puked all night long and still finished with a great time.




The fam waiting at mile 23 in the rain



The fam after I was finished




John and me after I finished




Tyson took this picture of my medal and I thought it was pretty cool

13 comments:

Krystle said...

All I can say is your crazy. That is so awesome that you did it. Hope you are all doing well. Hopefully we will be back soon. See ya.

cl said...

awesome! i knew you could do it! i have been waiting all weekend to hear how you did...and i am glad to see there are no pics from the back of an ambulance!
and i love all the wet kids and cute signs!

Anonymous said...

EM I AM SERIOUSLY SO IMPRESSED! I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE A RUNNER, AND A GOOD RUNNER TOO. YOU INSPIRE ME! THATS JUST AWSOME!!

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK!!!!

jaanderson family said...

thats awesome em! i wish i could have been there! congrats!

Teisha said...

Congrats! Are you going to do another now? I don't know a lot about marathons but it seems like I hear people finishing in a lot more time than 4 hours. That sounds very impressive!

Alisa said...

Well you already know that i think you are just the bomb! I am so jealous... hopefully you can keep me alive for the half marathon. Love you!!

Kiesel Klan said...

Good job Em. That is seriously a cool accomplishment. I could never do that. And I'm glad Heather decided to go.

lindsay said...

Yeah!!! You did it! I am so happy for you--you worked SO hard! So, will you ever do it again, or have you had enough? I wish I had as much determination as you do....running a marathon has always been a goal of mine, but I just don't know if I want it bad enough! I am so proud of you!!!

Texas MacLeans said...

I knew you could do it Em! That is so neat that alot of the family was there to cheer you on. I wish I could have been there too! You need to wear your medal where ever you go! Awesome job! I knew you would kick butt!

Frown Like A Thunderstorm said...

Congratulations once again on a well-deserved marathon completion! I posted a little shout out to you on my blog (on Monday) that has a statistic you may be interested in seeing...

Amanda said...

You totaly ROCK! That is so neat that all your family went to support you!!! And why do you still look so cute after running 26 miles in the pooring freezing rain? You are so fun- I am so glad I got to run with you! Your time was so awesome- GOOD JOB!!!!

Emily H. said...

hey emily! I am so totally impressed! a marathon? in my dreams. well i am so glad that i've started this blogging thing- it will be much easier to stay in contact since we all know i've always sucked at that. :)