I'm feeling pretty guilty right now. A few months ago Ryan cam home from school with a letter from the nurse requesting an eye exam. I got right on it. I was almost to walmart to get him an exam when I thought I better call and check with my insurance. They gave me a list of places I could go and Walmart was not one of them. We turned around and I promised I'd make him an appointment. Months go by. Ryan reminds me here and there but I get busy and I forget. He even told John and me that only one of his eyes worked and the other one didn't. When he said that I asked him which eye didn't work. He said, I don't know, either this one or this one. Well, we thought that was pretty funny and laughed it off. Finally, as I am watching him do his homework with the paper up in his face I figured I better make the appointment.
Yeah.. Ryan was right about one of his eyes not working. His vision is so bad in his right eye his brain is completely ignoring it. Not only does he need glasses but he also needs vision therapy once a week and will need to sometimes wear a patch. Watching the testing was sad because he could not see anything but the huge "E" out of his right eye. Why didn't I listen to him sooner? Because I suck.....
Reed's Birthday
8 years ago


9 comments:
First of all you do NOT suck! Unfortunately, as parents we do not always have all the answers and we are even HUMAN (shhh don't tell the kids).
The important thing is that now you are getting him the help he needs.
Don't beat yourself up.
Don't feel bad. Coming from someone who's daughter has had glasses since she was 2, you are about to become Mother-of-the-Year in his book. Once he gets his glasses, he's gonna see everything! He's gonna thank you for his glasses. The second we put Jessie's on her, she pointed out every bug, leaf, cloud, etc. She loved them, and I'll bet Ryan will love his too. Seriously, don't blame yourself!
Ah that's sad em. But you don't suck. and I love the new pic of the boys by the way.
totally know how you feel! it's too bad you don't live closer...our eye doctor does eye therapy and he is awesome. i will ask if he knows anyone in your area! must have been something in the water when we were pregnant with these kiddos!
don't beat yourself up, they say the kids don't usually say anything till they are in school because they think that is how everyone sees!
you are a great mommy!
Ahh, that is so sad, but no worries we all would do the same thing! We can't always believe or take serious everything our kids say- otherwise we'd be fools! :) I bet he'll look adorable in glasses! Noelle keeps hoping she'll have bad eyes like her dad so she can pick out cool glasses.
I am currently ignoring my son's eye care needs! His doctor called me about two months ago to tell me to make a check up appointment and I only remember after they are closed! I still don't have an appointment!
I am so sorry. My parents felt the same way about me when I needed glasses. We kind of put it off and they felt bad about it later. I didn't know they felt bad about it as a kid nor did I really care that much that we didn't go right away,as a kid I didn't blame them or feel upset towards them or anything. You are a great Mom, we all do stuff we feel guilty about when it comes to parenting I think. I agree with the statement that "The important thing is that now you are getting him the help he needs." Also when I could see I was amazed at how the world looked "for real" to everyone else. Stars in the sky were more like pin drops than blobs of shiney light and trees had small leaf details when the wind blew them. I was so happy my parents took me to the Doctor and I could see things I could never see before. I just remember feeling happy.
Oh we all have those days. It is so hard to know when kids know what is wrong and then to trust them. My friend's little girl had the same thing and it's fixed (about 3 years later) but that is the good news. I think you are an awesome mom!!
You do not suck Emily. You are a busy mom and it is so hard to know when kes complaints are actually real. getting kids into doctors is always put on the back burner unless it is an emergency. hopefully with the therapy he can get som good vision back in his eye!
emily nelson:)
Post a Comment